Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Great beginnings

I got to my trusty starting post this morning, hopped on, took off, and rode almost all the way to the corner. It felt great to get off to such a good start! For the rest of the morning I had a handful of false starts, but for the most part I was able to get on and ride, regardless of which support I was using, and regardless of which side I was starting on.

Jenny brought Molly out walking and was finally able to see me actually riding, which was nice. At one point I started off from the tree in the middle of the park and rode all the way to my starting point, including a left turn; then I turned around and rode all the way back to the tree (including, of course, the corresponding right turn). Jenny and Molly were suitably impressed. As they left, I rode around the picnic area, which was off my beaten path and included several gentle turns and changes in pitch.

The other great beginning today was my first step in learning how to freemount (that translates to "get on the unicycle and start riding without a support" for the uninitiated among you). I used a 2x4 to help keep the wheel in place, and used the support that I've been using for the past month. As I progress, I'll be able to use a smaller block, then no block, then no support (not necessarily in that order). I look forward to being able to freemount, because at that point I'll be able to ride just about anywhere, instead of having to consider whether or not there will be support posts close by. But that won't be for a while: based on what I've read about learning how to freemount, and based on my experience today, I can tell that it won't be a skill easily learned. That's okay, I've got plenty of time. And in the meantime, I'll continue to improve my riding skills, so that when I can freemount, I'll be able to ride away without falling over.

No need for the wrist guards today. But they were on, and I was happy to be wearing them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home