Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Friday, January 13, 2006

More control, if not distance

Not much to report today. A couple of runs in the 45'-50' range, several in the 30'-40' range, and lots and lots of UPDs.

It was encouraging to feel the slightest bit more in control during the longer runs. The hardest part right now seems to be the first revolution of the wheel: if it goes well for the first 6 feet or so, I can usually get 20'-30'; if the first 6 feet go badly, I'm lucky to make it 10'. I look forward to the day when I can correct out of most less-than-perfect situations.

It was a little discouraging not getting any runs in longer than I got in yesterday, but not terribly. I've got time.

No spectacular UPDs, though watching the unicycle shoot out in front of me 10 feet or more makes me glad that I moved to the park to practice, and away from my sliding glass doors. During one UPD, I somehow got stuck to the unicycle, and we both went crashing to the ground. I'm not sure how that happened, since I'm not wearing a seatbelt, and I don't have clipless pedals on the thing. Too bad I don't have it on video. I'll remember it for a few days, though, every time I touch my ankle.

It's supposed to be cold and rainy for the next couple of days, and that's okay with me. I need a couple of days for my current round of bruises and cuts to heal! It'll also give me a couple of days to watch the videos that I got today: one learning video, and "Defect," a video of all kinds of unicycle riding, tricks, and stunts. I've really enjoyed the video clips that I've seen online so far, in the same way that I've always enjoyed Warren Miller ski movies: I know I'll never attempt 95% of what's shown, but I love watching other people do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home