Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Monday, January 02, 2006

Rain, rain, and more rain

Today, all day, it looked like this outside:

(It's hard to tell, but it's not just wet, it's raining.) So, given my weather-weenieness, it looked like this inside:

(That's Molly in the lower left, who's quite fascinated with this whole unicycling thing.) I don't think I really need the pads inside, but I thought I'd put them on to see how they felt. The wrist pads were too stiff to use in the doorway -- they didn't allow enough flexibility to put my hands in the position that felt most comfortable -- but I think I'll like having them on outside (especially if I hit the pavement). The knee and elbow pads were also a bit stiff, and the straps weren't terribly comfortable; wearing my longer bike shorts might help.

"Riding" in the doorway isn't terribly realistic, but I feel like it's getting me used to several things: keeping my weight in the seat, looking forward instead of down, and turning the cranks smoothly. If nothing else, it gets me sitting on my unicycle even when it's too wet to practice outside.

The forecast for tomorrow looks slightly better, at least in the morning. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home