Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Adventure Begins

Happy New Year!

Well, here we are in 2006. A new year, and, for me, a new toy. And to share with my friends the experiences I'm having playing with it, a new blog.

About a month ago, Jenny (my wife, for those of you who don't know her) told me that her boss was taking unicycling lessons. Now, I know her boss Regina. And the news didn't surprise me all that much, since Regina has a lot of eclectic interests, and is just, well, a pretty eclectic person. I thought it was great, and I said something along the lines of, "That's great!" I also added that I'd wanted to learn how to ride a unicycle for as long as I could remember. I don't know if it's because I'm a clown at heart, or very cool and hip, or an uber-nerd, or just wired funny, but I've always thought unicycles were very cool.

A couple of weeks later, Jen took a couple of calls from her brother Geoff, who works in a bike shop. Nothing all that unusual about that, except for the fact that when she got on the phone, she went outside to talk to him when it was about 60 degrees and overcast outside, which, for my wife, is stay inside weather. I became happily suspicious.

On Christmas Eve, I got back from my final performance as Bob Cratchit in "A Christmas Carol" to find my recording booth (a closet with a microphone in it) tied up with a ribbon. I was sternly instructed to leave it tied until Christmas morning. My suspicion grew, as did my internal smile.

On Christmas morning, after finding a SpongeBob SquarePants yo-yo and a set of juggling beanbags in my stocking, I opened the clos-- er, recording booth to find a huge bag tied up with a ribbon. I carried it out to the living room, and, after almost getting lost in the bag:


I pulled out my first unicycle:


So just in case anyone is interested, I thought I'd try to keep track of my experiences while I'm learning to ride this thing that I've been wanting to learn how to ride for as long as I can remember. I'm starting this blog on New Year's Day 2006, but I'll recap the the first week in separate posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home