Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Friday, January 13, 2006

Farther and farther

There must have been some problem yesterday with the blogspot server that my blog is on, I couldn't get on to post this. Better late than never!

It took an hour to get back up to speed again. I guess that'll be the pattern, a frustrating hour where everything is quite difficult again before making any progress. But that's okay, because then I did make some progress: several runs that were about as long as my longest run on Monday, and, to cap off the two-hour practice session, a nice 55' wobble (I thought it was over 50' but I wanted to make sure, so I took Molly for a walk to the park in the afternoon with my tape measure; it turned out to be closer to 60', so I'm going to settle on 55' for a nice, round number).

In response to my first post in the unicyclist.com forums, I received a couple of pieces of advice: don't ride until you think you're going to fall, ride until you actually fall, and don't grab the seat. Those two pieces of advice, combined, have proven to be my biggest bugaboo: every time I'm about to fall, I instinctively grab the seat. I suppose it's some sort of survival instinct kicking in, although my brain must be pretty feeble if it thinks that grabbing onto a moving unicycle seat is going to provide some sort of support. Ah well, as I progress hopefully that habit will gradually disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home