Rich On A Unicycle

I received my first unicycle as a gift from my wife on Christmas, 2005. For anyone interested, I'm chronicling the process of learning to ride it here. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

More Progress

Today was a great day: great weather, time to spend on my unicycle, and progress learning to ride. What more could I ask for?

I moved to the park today. I ended up finding a better post than any of the ones I photographed last week to use as a support: it's closer to the path, and the ground is level.

It took a few minutes to get back into the swing of mounting, starting, and UPDing, but once I did things started falling into place. The time it took to hop on the unicycle and get ready to pedal decreased substantially. In fact, freemounting doesn't seem all that much like a faraway dream anymore (though it'll still be a long, long time before I've got that mastered, I'm sure). After a little while, I made it the 15' that I'd made a couple of times last Friday.

There are quite a few dog- and child-walkers that make use of our local park, so there were quite a few opportunities to take a short breather and get some water. And at one point a group of school children ran by during an organized "recess run," or something like that (hearing a little boy say, "cool!" as he passed was sort of fun).

After about an hour, I had a nice run that was about 30'. It felt great! What felt almost as good were the few times when I'd start to lose control, during that run as well as shorter ones, but then regain it as I figured out what was happening and correct for it. By that time, Jenny and Molly had shown up, and Jenny was able to get a couple of "action shots":



By the end of my two hours, I was getting much more consistent in being able to hit 15' to 20'; I figure I was getting a few crank revolutions in at least 50% of the time, maybe more. There were also a few runs that were slightly farther. I had wanted to end on an "up" note, and I did: another run of 30' or so in which I actually felt in control for much of the distance.

We're supposed to have more rain tomorrow, but that's okay. Although I'd like to learn quickly, I'm having fun with the process, so taking a day or two off in between learning sessions will be fine. I'll be riding around the park soon enough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home